Historic Marker 66 is located at 511 Caroline Street, between Eaton and Greene Streets.
The site was originally where William Curry, Florida's first millionaire, built his home in 1855. He lived here for nearly 40 years. His son Milton, a partner in the William Curry and Sons Company, demolished all but the stone kitchen in 1905 and constructed the grand Victorian style mansion that stands on the property today.
Local lore has it that in the kitchen, back when it was part of William Curry's original house, a cook nicknamed "Aunt Sally" baked the first official Key Lime pie in the wood burning stove. This event would make the Curry Mansion the birthplace of the now world-famous Key Lime Pie.
The Curry Mansion is a beautiful structure. Woodwork carved from Birdseye maple is featured throughout the 22-room mansion. The building is constructed of Dade County Pine, a wood that is both handsome and durable. Dade County Pine is stronger and more resistant to termites than other woods shipped in from around the world. This is one of the reasons the mansion has remained in pristine condition over its 105 years.
It is rumored that William Curry gave each of his children $5,000 towards their new homes. It was either a handsome down payment or a clever way to entice his children to move out and find a house of their own.
In a friendly rivalry, each of his children went to great lengths and expense to outdo one another.
Milton Curry was one of the 7 Curry offspring who built extravagant homes in Key West. The other 5 homes are the Woman's Club (#2), the Southernmost Mansion (#8), Fogarty's Restaurant (#18), the Hard Rock Cafe (313 Duval), and 612 Eaton Street (private residence).