Historic Marker number six is located at 314 Simonton Street between Eaton and Caroline Streets.
In 1919, Benjamin Trevor and George Morris built Casa Antigua, which was then known as the Trev-Mor Hotel. The Trev-Mor was one of Key West's first hotels. It was advertised as the island's first fireproof hotel because it had 13 inch thick walls that were made from recycled bricks from Fort Zachary Taylor. The bricks date back to 1845.
The hotel offered 46 rooms on the second and third floors and featured a Ford car dealership on the first floor.
In April 1928, Ernest Hemingway and his wife, Pauline, arrived in Key West on an ocean liner, having spent seven years in Paris. Hemingway came to Key West to pick up a new Ford he had ordered from the Trev-Mor Ford Agency so he and his wife could drive up the Keys to the mainland.
The car was late being delivered and the Hemingways were stranded. Mr. Trevor and Mr. Morris apologetically put them up in a hotel room on the second floor. It took two weeks for the car to arrive.
During this impromptu stay, Hemingway fell in love with Key West. He was able to view the seaport from the hotel and stroll down to Mallory Square to find boats for deep-sea fishing adventures. Of course his nighttime jaunts-a few blocks to Sloppy Joe's- became legendary. Ernest Hemingway finished "A Farewell to Arms" during his stay at the Trev-Mor Hotel.
The Hemingways stayed on at the Trev-Mor for two years before moving into their home at 907 Whitehead Street.
As the years went by, the fame and fortune of the hotel changed. It was sold a couple of times and used as a rooming house. In the 1950's, the first floor car dealership was transformed into a jazz club.
In 1975, having survived 56 years of hurricanes, the "fireproof" building was gutted by fire. The current owners renamed the building Casa Antigua, which means "old house" in Spanish. The remains of the hotel have been transformed into one of the most unusual homes on the island. It features an open-air three story interior atrium. The atrium overflows with tropical plants that surround the pool that was the original cistern.
Casa Antiqua and the Pelican Poop gift shop are open to the public.