Historic Marker 18 is located at 227 Duval St at the corner of Duval and Caroline.
The home was originally constructed in 1875 by Charles Curry, son of Florida's first millionaire William Curry. The current structure was built in 1887 after the first house was destroyed in the fire of 1886. This home was characteristic of the grand mansions built by the Curry children, 2nd only to the Southernmost Mansion built by his sister Florida.
After Charles’ death, his daughter Corinne's fiancee, Dr. Joseph Norman Fogarty, bought the home in 1900 as her wedding present. Dr. Fogarty was a prominent member of the Key West community and now owned the nicest home in the “blue blood” district of Key West. Dr. Fogarty was Mayor of Key West for an impressive 6 year / 6 term span, very unusual in those days.
In 1912, during the last year of Fogarty's Mayoral term, they hosted two very important receptions at their stately manor. On January 22, 1912 there was a large reception for Henry Flagler to celebrate the completion of Flagler’s Overseas Railroad. On December 21, 1912 the Fogarty's held a reception for President Taft, as he stopped over in Key West while on his way to an inspection of the Panama Canal.
After the Fogarty's passed, the house fell slowly into disrepair. Through the 60's it became a hippie crash pad and was nearly razed in 1970 after countless complaints of the vagrants inside. It was purchased by John and Dolly Dedek in 1971. They restored the house and transformed it into the Fogarty House 1875 Restaurant.